There are several electronic ways to keep abreast of new developments in your field of study.
1. Sign up for journal alerting services such as Giga Alert or JournalTOCs. You will be notified when any new journal articles in your specified subject interests become available, either by email or RSS.
2. Use RSS feeds to collect updates from your favourite web resources in one place. Feed readers such as Feedly are free to use.
3. Join discussion groups and mailing lists. You will receive notification of new research, conferences, publications, web-sites and much more. See Jiscmail for free UK academic mailing lists. See H-Net for over 100 academic mailing lists covering a wide range of subjects (not just UK based).
4. Make use of social networking tools to keep track of the latest news. Many individuals and organisations use Twitter and Facebook to share developments in their field. Follow @SOASLibrary on Twitter or 'like' SOAS Library on Facebook to receive updates from the Library.
5. Check the library's blogs, What's new? for new resources which are available to you at SOAS. You can also receive updates as RSS feeds.